Wednesday, July 21, 2010

France, Marseille: boats, beats, & babes by the beach

It took me about a gazillion hours and 3 trains to find my way to Marseille, the first of which was the most uncomfortable train I've ever been in, its frequent stops making sleep rather difficult. Anyway, I made it, I ate, and I napped, and the whole world seemed like a better place.

I have a friend from high school named Katie, who has spent the past 5 years at queens. When I was there in March, we grabbed coffee for the first time in... 4.5 years?! And realized that Europe, more specifically, France, was on the agenda for mid-July. So Katie came with Steph, Jackie, and I to Versailles. And then we realized that Marseille, more specifically the exact same 3 nights, was on the agenda. So here, I got to sped time with Katie & her two travel buddies - whom I have to thank for the title of my book '99 days'.

Onto the good stuff. Marseille is a port town, and we stayed quite close to said port. What I saw, and expected to see, was lots and lots and lots of boats. What I smelled, and expected to smell, was lots and lots and lots of sea food. What I did not expect was the vast multicultural population and different 'cultural areas' of town, even within walking distance of the hostel. Our first night we dined absolutely fantastic Algerian (couscous, chicken, lamb, veggies, apricot flavour mixed in, meat balls, sausage - sharing IS caring), and our second night, Tunisian -- and not once did we feel as though we were cheating the 'when in Rome...' rule of travel. So that takes care of the boats.

Because throughout our stay, we also had some beats. That is to say that at night, while sauntering around the town, we'd bump into a stage with a jazz concert - or a group of men doing gymnastics tricks to the beat of the drums. (and key 'rhythm of my heart', Rod Stewart?), both really enjoyable alternatives to what has become my evening routine, ie beer, wine, or sangria.

And from night to day we'd become babes on the beach, taking a 45 min walk to find a less crowded beach, playing in the waves and the rocks, soaking up the sun, having a delicious picnic of freshly baked multi-grain bread with cucumber, tomatoes, brie cheese, and delicious walnut cheese spread. So delicious it deserves a second mention in the blog: walnut. cheese. spread.

A few hours, a cold freezie, and some layers of sand later, we'd make the trek home, stopping only to watch a few boys jump off a cliff into the Mediterranean below. I contemplated it seriously, until I thought that perhaps one shouldn't jump off another cliff, when so close to landing safely from the few in which she is currently mid-air. Plus there are several other peaks waiting patiently on the American side of the puddle, for which the butterflies are alreay whirring in anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment