Amidst an entire exhibit telling me how things HAVE been changing & evolving over time, I was struck by how much some things haven't changed.
And this is analagous to how I felt when I moved home after living in Montreal for 5 years.
In brief, I moved out of Ottawa in June, 2005. And yes, I've been back. But never for more than 2-3 days in a row, and never with anything more than a backpack (ok, who are we kidding, with a lot of laundry!). Seriously though, I think it's been almost 2 years since I even slept in my own bed in Ottawa (one extra set of stairs, Michelle surprisingly lazy)
So April 2010, I find myself facing a bagillion boxes, suitcases, and bags of accumulated crap strewn across my bedroom floor. I'm thinking "oh, how much I've learned and changed and grown and bla bla bla since I left for Montreal..." until my old crap starts mixing in with my new crap, and I start to realize maybe things haven't changed that THAT much...
1. I push aside an old camera to make room for the new one I just got for traveling... only THIS one doesn't come with film canisters and has way more cool funky features
2. I'd forgotten I collected cool glass bottles... now they say "Macabe beer" and "Grolsch" instead of "Diet Coke"
3. I still have some cool athletic finishing ribbons... which now read "triathlon" instead of "alpine skiing"
4. Ottawa or Montreal, I have spare tubes lying around everywhere! Only now I've upgraded from shraeder to presta. Good call me.
5. I also still keep a shoebox full of sentimental crap -- sentimental crap still means everything from plane ticket stubs to sappy letters to small articles found in nature. Although apparently I've stopped collecting postcards.
6. My pile of rediculously large free t-shirts is ever-expanding, only it has diversified from "Grade 9 Spirit Day" and "Lisgar Loppett" to "Jeux de Biochimie" and "Esprit Montreal Triathlon"
7. And I still own a lot of spandex... a LOT of spandex.
OK, enough yabbering. Moral of the story? Well here's one option (taken from Evolution of Evolution exhibit):
Don't like it? Enh, fair enough. It doesn't really fit perfectly, athlough I'm not sure yet what does... I guess there shall be more nonsense to come until I figure that out... ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment