Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Germany, Munich: past & present

More cultural Munich post...

Which I'll have to preface by saying that I was initially slightly hesitant to go to Munich. Knowing my background, there is a small part of me that gets a shudder down my back when Germany is mentioned, and it always takes that split second for 'ok Michelle, this isn't the country it was 65-odd years ago, you can't stereotype that way.' But there was another part of me that felt ready to tackle the idea of Germany regardless of the possibility of awkward or uncomfortable situations it might bring.

And so, as recommended, I went on a free walking tour (awesome things in most major cities) given by some random American, who clearly happened to know a lot about Germany. He was a bit on the rambly side, but in all other ways, a fantastic tour guide.

Throughout the tour, we learned both about Munich's past as well as what makes it a great city today. This included old buildings with myths and stories (why Satan's footprint is found in a church), explanations about how today's traditions developed (why the clock tower displays some weird puppet-like dancing, what happens if you steal a May-pole) and especially, many of the events and places that make Munich new, exciting, and tons of fun today (sausage, beer gardens, St. Peter's church lookout over the city, having open beer in the street, more sausage, schnitzel, beer gardens, and the open market. And more places to drink beer.)

Through the stories & descriptions (combined with sense of humor, wit, & sarcasm of course) of times both past & present, I slowly began to feel my stereotype and hesitations slip away, and, even in the short time I was in Munich, to grow more comfortable with the city & the situation. It was a great reminder that, in general, stereotypically not-the-best pasts shouldn't stop you from giving the present a chance.

The walking tour also brought us by one of hundreds of mini-holocaust memorials in Munich. It was a simple plaque, outside what used to be a Jewish company's store, that reads 'here used to stand x store run by Mr. X-stein' (haha). We discussed whether there was a need for a huge memorial 'something' and tour guide dude explained that, the hundreds of small reminders around the city DID accomplish their tasks - people in this city, every day going to work, lunch, supermarket, they know what these memorials mean. And further, apparently Germany did initially struggle with how to teach this, they have done an incredible job. Now, 4/5 10-yr-old German children can have a decently intelligent conversation about WWII events; contrast that to (insert like 5 examples here that he quoted & I forget) or Canadian same-age children about its treatmnt of native populations and you will definitely not find that same ratio. So I guess he came through again with the gentle reminder, that if you can't control the past, you can control your reaction in thoughts, but also in actions, to those events.

I don't think I was entirely ready to leave Munich, and felt like the city might have a bit more to teach me. But plans don't go according to plan here, and other really great opportunities were awaiting. And who knows, maybe I'll catch another day in this city sometime in the future?!

No comments:

Post a Comment