I write you now at 10:30 pm from the basement 6-person room of the Orient Hostel in the area of Sultanahmed. I'm exhausted!
But as it turns out, the beginning of the middle was full of pleasant surprises (to clarify, I was surprised at the 'pleasant' part, not the 'surprises' part -- those I expected)
----------------------------------------
(anddd I was so tired I passed out after writing 3 sentences)
Anyway, I must have a horseshoe up my ass, because immediately upon arriving at the departure gate in Doha, things started magically working out. The security guy came up to a woman named Eva and I to ask if we'd like to get on the shuttle early... Which led to us talking, which led to finding out we had the same layover, both going to Istanbul, and would I like her help to use the train to get to my hostel. Um, yes!
Fast forward a few hours and we're trying to figure out which is the correct transfer and what do you know, Joe Shmoe from Canada (noticed my flag) is taking the same one, follow him.
A few stops later I mention that 'oh crap I forgot to look for a Turkey guide book at the airport'. Oh, but I shouldn't worry, Mr. Shmoe actually didn't like Istanbul, so would I like his book for free, it'll just collect dust if he keeps it.
Time to get off the train, Eva has one more stop but Shmoe is getting off at mine, he can take me half way -- oh, this map is compliciated, says he. 'What are you looking for?' a new voice from behind. New guy is a tour guide, going to pick up a group around the corner, he'll show me. Oh, but would I stop by his carpet store, please? 'Yes, yes, once I put down big bag, promise' ... That was easy enough.
Despite running off 3 hours sleep, I spend my day tourist-y-ing, meeting a lovely couple from Maryland with whom I eat lunch and follow to the Grand Bazaar. Get lost there for a while, figure out I have to pay for a washroom, get found, get lost again, and then find my way to the little park near the train stop, where earlier in the day I'd had 'tourist' plastered on my forehead.
Two french girls look lost flipping maps in all directions, so I return the horseshoe/tourist favour. Which leads me to meeting two Venezuelan guys who invite me to see the hippodrome and basilica cistern. Oh, and would I like their city map? They leave for the airport in a few hours and don't need it anyway.
Back at the hostel, flipping through Eurorail books, train times, brochures for tours around istanbul, la la la. Oh, the people at the front desk can book those for me.
And then here are some other lovely hostel'ers who invite me to dinner.
All in all, great day. I pass out early as I need the sleep, looking forward to my Bosphorus boat tour, where I'll get to see a fortress, castle ruins, other stuff, and go all the way out to the black sea!
Goa!
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment