Friday, June 11, 2010

Italy, Milan: the tally

So the past 24 hours have been a bit of an adventure...

Get off train in Milan, look at the directions and figure it will be a quick 15-20 minutes to the hostel. I quickly realize this won't be the case when it takes me 10 minutes to walk to the metro that is IN the train station. Take that to a city rail-train station which is bigger than many other city's central stations. Bla bla bla, 90 minutes since 'landing', and some pretty sore shoulders later, I arrive at the hostel. Milan 1, Michelle 0.

Anectode while on the metro. A man starts playing his harmonica for money while ON the train. Now it's a loud train, so you can imagine how much effort he has to go to so we can hear him. I think this is rather hilarious and kind of want a picture - which I'm subtle about, hiding behind my backpack, turning off the flash - but he notices and starts yelling in italian and pointing at himself. Shit. Then I shake my head no. Then he says 'journalisty?' and I shake my head 'no' again and say 'canada'. That seems to satisfy him. Thank goodness. Milan 2, Michelle 0.

So I've been trying to work out how to pick good hostels, because especially traveling alone, a good hostel can really make the experience. I spent a while perusing the ratings and comments about this one, and thought I'd made a really good choice. Wellllll, apparently I found a hostel that caters to adults and is located in the surroundings of an ex-psychiatric hospital. Wow. Milan 3, Michelle 0.

DID find delicious Italian food for dinner. Although what I chose was suggested to me by the waiter, so, Milan 4, Michelle 0.

Wanted to explore during the day, but my hostel was far from the city centre and I had to catch the noon train. So, roamed Milan all morning with my big and little packs, and a map. If that doesn't say 'take advantage of me, I'm a tourist' then I don't know what does. As I stood in awe of a gigantic castle, I suddenly had two bracelets attached to my wrist 'for you, for you, good luck! ... Please just give something ... 10 euro?' ya hmm ok buddy. He got 2. That's probably still wayyy too much. Milan 5, Michelle 0.

Now, if I finally get to see some cool stuff, does that give me or Milan points? I'm not sure. But amongst other things I'm sure, Milan proudly houses, in Cenacolo Vinciano, the famous painting of the Last Supper. This, I did not get to see. But I did pay a visit to both Duomo, the world's largest Gothic cathedral and Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, the famous shopping arcade. Yes, apparetly it's referred to as an arcade.

A 'quick' ride on the metro later and I'm in a 20 min line to reserve my seat on the train to Cinque Terre. Meet some québécois girls in line (ahh, on peut recconaitre l'accent n'importe-ou). Find out the train is full but I can not pay to reserve and stand. Ugh, fine. Join québécois forces to stealthily find 3 empty seats on the train - which none of us have paid for. Quebec 1, Italy 0. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment