Saturday, June 19, 2010

Italy, Rome: Les frenchies & la folie

Within about 2 minutes of entering the room at my hostel in Rome, I knew I was in for a good time. Three 19 yr old girls in good old québécois French with their 'esti's and 'ben non's and I felt right at home.

While reading this post, you may ask yourself, 'now did she actually see Rome?' and fear not, I did... Although usually only on about 5-6 hours sleep and lots of caffeine. But here I shall recount the adventures Rome had to offer that were, perhaps, a little less cultural.

Night 1: open air boat

Thanks to some batting of eyelashes, giggles, and curling of fingers in hair, we have an invitation and phone number for Kiiko' who can put us on guest list for the open air boat club. First, we decide to cook ourselves a steak, mushroom, and potatoe dinner out on our rooftop terrrace, which of course must be accompanied by wine.




A mere 7 bottles between 4 girls later, with the last one (free from our hostel hosts who must have tsken a liking to us) for the road, and we're off...




Yes, the camera is in my face. Anyway, we had to take a bus to get there, and thank goodness Roxanne spoke some Italian, because I had NO idea where I was. In fact, I noticed the next morning that I tried to blog about the night while on the bus, and for your enjoyment, I'll copy & paste it here:



The bus is shaking. Were going to a river club. Seriously.

--/----///--------------/----:/-/-------1

But seriously. Were drinking on a boat. We got on from some guest list I don't even understand.

----//////------------/------:/:;--/---------

Just spent an hour? Kinda dancing faces off. La La la. Yes Christmas carols.




And, also for your enjoyment, the picture I tried to take of the boat from tr bridge above. All in all, great night. And we found out from a guy the next day that he paid 20 euro to get in, and we got in freeeee!!

Night 2: hard rock cafe

Hahaha yes, overpriced American restaurant in Italy... One can only eat so much pasta. But for something new I got a chicken, bacon, cheese, avocado club sandwich. Damn that is good stuff.

I again forced the mingling of groups so my frenchies got to meet my married couple and we had some goooood laughs. We also got to watch some more world cup and the Italians went nuts as France beat Mexico. Then the lamer older half of us (yes myself included) went to see the colosseum at night, while my frenchies hit up an Irish kareoke pub. At 2:00 am we met back at the hostel - would I like to join them for an underground club open past 2 am? In theory yes, but oh man, so tired. Although NOT as tired as I'm sure they were upon their return -- I hear the door open, do the usual wake up, roll over, check time -- WTF it's 8 am ?!?!?? You kids are craaaaaazyyyy!

Night 3: boys, beer, wine, terrace, statue, colosseum, sort-of dance club

Well, I pretty much gave it away. But I found my girls 2 fun, sweet American 19 year old boys and we brought them up to our rooftop terrace for drinks. At closing, we moved to a statue by the church (oops), and then to the grassy hill by the colosseum. We overheard a dance club going on, and tried about 3-4 times to sneak in from all angles, until we finally resolved to have our own mini dance party just outside.

Coffee the next morning at half price thanks to another connection the girls had made and we said our goodbyes. One girl continues her travels and the 2 others go home to work jazz festival... Anybody need a connection for a - cough - clean pass into the music scene?!?! ;)

1 comment:

  1. It really looks like you got in to Roma's life much more than I do when I'm there! well done!
    Simona

    ReplyDelete