The morning after the wine event, I finally showered of the sweat and salt of the previous day's hike & swim. I downed water and advil as I rushed to check out, charge my phone til at least 20% and say ciao to the girls. Sad. But en route to the train station, I met 3 Kiwis en route to Florence. And while my thinking cells were certainly not working yet, and hadn't even considered the obvious layover, these 3 certainly had. Once we get there, would I like to join them on a short bus ride to the well-known tourist attraction? Hells yes I would.
Not much to say here. The Torre Pendente, well, it leans!
Construction began in 1173, but soil shifted a mere 3 tiers in. Apparently construction resumed and ended again, prior to the 3rd and final phase of construction bringing the tower to 7 tiers and 4.1 m off the perpendicular. I'm a bit unclear about when / if they built not knowing if the tilt would be stabilized. But Europe-on-shoestring says it wasn't until 1998 that it was fully safe....oh, that is until I began 'pushing it down'.
Bus back to train station. Grab packs (yes, this time I was not cheap and paid to leave it there). Canceled next train. Canceled next train. Find married couple friends from bungalow campsite in!!! Canceled next train. 4th train is preeeetttyyy full. Arrive in Florence! Follow married couple friends to their hostel to see if there is space (arrived in a city un-booked for the first time... Cinque terre not so much with the Internet). No space. Resolve to roaming the city. Get offered a space in the single bed next to the double in their room. Say 'are you surrreee?' Spend the next 24 ish hours with my new best buds...
No, but seriously, she just finished her 4 years of MD, he's a triathlete, their travelers, they don't fear my sarcasm, AND they house me --> new best best buds!
Goa!
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment